+ Reply to Thread

Default Need help! Bathroom smells like sewage everytime I open the door!

Hello Everyone! I have a terrible situation going on in my bathroom. It was built from the ground up just a few months ago, but apparently the contractor we chose decided to skip a few key details. My bathroom smells so horrible every time I walk in, and have just been told that that is due to the fact that I have no vent coming out of the bathroom. I am in a detached guest home, and looking into the main home, there are vents coming out for all the bathrooms in there. On my roof, there is none. I don't know what to do. And most importantly, is this an expensive repair? The contractor we had hired ended up being a drug addict who robbed us of our funds and left before his job was done. Needless to say, this has left us in a financial bind.

I thank you for your time.

Default Re: Need help! Bathroom smells like sewage everytime I open the door!

Can you get into the attic,Maybe the vents were stubbed up and never taken out the roof. If thats the case I would think the smell would be in the entire house.
    Is there a floor drain in there for some stupid reason,you indicated the contractor was on *****. Maybe theres no trap on the floor drain.

Why is it important to allow air to enter the plumbing system?
    A. When fixtures discharge negative pressure develops in the drainage system due to water flowing downstream in the pipes. If air does not enter the system and balance the pressure the water in the fixture trap will be siphoned allowing sewer gas to enter the building.

http://www.ipscorp.com/studor/faqs
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Question Re: Need help! Bathroom smells like sewage everytime I open the door!

Maybe someone else can tell you if this makes a difference or not. This is ONLY an Opinion and in NO way fact. We are renting a house in the country and on a septic tank instead of a sewer system. I never realized the smell that MANY people have to deal with that are on a septic. We currently rent and are actually in the last days of escrow on a home. Even if we weren't buying we would try to find a new place because of the smell in the bathrooms. Again this is just a though I could be wrong and it could be irrelivant to your situation.

Default Re: Need help! Bathroom smells like sewage everytime I open the door!

Quote Originally Posted by Itsmesusanb View Post
    Maybe someone else can tell you if this makes a difference or not. This is ONLY an Opinion and in NO way fact. We are renting a house in the country and on a septic tank instead of a sewer system. I never realized the smell that MANY people have to deal with that are on a septic. We currently rent and are actually in the last days of escrow on a home. Even if we weren't buying we would try to find a new place because of the smell in the bathrooms. Again this is just a though I could be wrong and it could be irrelivant to your situation.
    then either the septic rank is full or not working properly....

I never had any septic odor when I was a teenager living in my parent house.

Bottom line it has nothing to do with septic tank, it has a lot to do with venting, and operating condition.
    "Life does not go by the book, we learn as we go along".

You only need two tools in life - WD-40 and Duct Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the Duct Tape.