+ Reply to Thread

Default Hardwood vs. Laminate

Some of my friends are having some work done on their house and I was over while one of the contractors was there. My friend and I were talking about how we couldn't wait until the foundation work was done on their house so we could get rid of the nightmare carpet and start laying the new wood floors. The contractor asks what kind of wood we were laying, and I said we were thinking about bamboo or a hardwood. The contractor starts telling us that with the new types of laminate they have out there's no benefits to hardwoods as far as duability/resale value goes. I've always heard this was total BS, especially in an older house. This one is a 1909 model. So, is there any truth to what he said? Laminate would definately be cheaper with doing the whole house, but does it really stand up to a hardwood?

Default Re: Hardwood vs. Laminate

The biggest beef I have with laminate is it's noisy & slippery.I dont like the hollow sound when walking on it.
    If it was my choice I would install the wood. It boils down to a persons preference,lifestyle & budget. Wood is much harder to maintain (clean)but has a longer lifespan if its solid wood

http://www.american-hardwood-floorin...-laminate.html

http://www.happynews.com/living/kitc...e-flooring.htm

http://www.efloors.com/laminate_flooring_pros_cons.asp
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I would have to agree with Gizmo, manmade laminate is NOT as good or durable and does not add value to the home like real wood and wood laminates (engineered flooring ) will.

The hollow knock comes from the manner in which it is installed. Solid wood floors are generally nailed in place, leaving no gaps for noise to be created, whereas engineered flooring and laminates are "floating" floors, they're not attached to the substrate and there's usually a layer of cushion material under them. Floating floors do knock somewhat, but the type and thickness of the flooring can help keep it to a minimum.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jkirk View Post
    the big difference between real hardwood and laminate is this

when hardwood gets dinged it adds character, when laminate gets dinged our damaged you see a white or green core.. hardwood can be sanded and refinished, laminate gets torn out and replaced

hardwood will cup and slightly discolor if it gets wet which can be sanded down. laminate swells buckles and pulls itself apart when its wet and has to be replaced
    and that will only be if the manufacture hasn't changed thickness, if they make that brand anymore. or even if you have spare pieces wood often darkens with age and not being able to sand out the laminates you are just stuck with the difference. What is a realistic life expectancy of a laminate? you know it will get dinged and gouged. but not being able to be sanded out it will eventually need to be replaced. true hardwood floors just resand and you have a like new floor. to me no comparison.

Thanks for the advice guys. I thought that guy was full of it. We decided to go with a light bamboo floor throughout the house. We found a colour everyone likes a lot and that goes with everything in the house for a really good price.