+ Reply to Thread

Default Kitchen celing lights.

Hi,

We have, in the last few weeks installed new kitchen ceiling lights in our hours. It takes 5 60 watt decorative bulbs. It has blown 3 or 4 bulbs already. Do you know what could be causing this problem.

Any help would be greatly appricated.

Thank you,
    Barbanddon.

Default Re: Kitchen celing lights.

Quote Originally Posted by bmobley View Post
    Hi,

We have, in the last few weeks installed new kitchen ceiling lights in our hours. It takes 5 60 watt decorative bulbs. It has blown 3 or 4 bulbs already. Do you know what could be causing this problem.

Any help would be greatly appricated.

Thank you,
    Barbanddon.
    usually dollar store bulbs. Is this the only place in your house where this is happening? Next guess is a high resistance ground, but not likely if its only in one fixture. unless the connection at that fixture under the canopy has a bad splice.

ok. I let this sit for a few minutes so i could include my after thought.

Are you using CFLs? If you are, are they on a dimmer?
    you cant dim a cfl (even if the dimmer and bulb are rated for it, it doesnt work right and the bulbs will not last.)
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

Thank you for your reply. We were not using dollar store bulbs. Actual have gotten bulbs from Lowes and this last package I bought at Walmart just incase we had gotten bad bulbs from Lowes. I am not sure what you mean when you say are we using CFL's? I can tell you that we are not using a dimmer and we have two fixtures in the kitchen that are just a like, and were put in on the same day. All the bulbs have blown in only one of the fixtures except for one bulb in the other fixture. It is not happing anywhere else in the house.

Any other questions or suggestion are greatly appricated.

Thanks for your help.

Almost all the decorative bulbs you find nowadays are cheap bulbs and they can stand very little vibration. A kids room above the kitchen can be a killer.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    Almost all the decorative bulbs you find nowadays are cheap bulbs and they can stand very little vibration. A kids room above the kitchen can be a killer.
    Jack
    I would agree its more likely an evironmental issue and less likely electrical. However if you have eliminated all possablilty of that then It could be a miswired fixture (factory) or a loose splice in the box just above the fixture or relatively close in the circuit. I have seen where the facory assembler cut off too many strands when they were stripping a wire, since its blowing bulbs I would again say on the nuetral side. If it were on the hide side it would just dim and blink. If it is environmental tho, like vibrations or something, try rough service bulbs.

I had a sevice call once to troubleshhot a chandelier in a 2 story foyer. I spent 2 hours setting up a scaffold and lowering the fixture to go over it, while I was up in the air the homeowner asked me to wipe a few scuff marks off the wall. I asked what caused them and she didnt know. An hour later her teen son came home from basketball practice and threw his ball upstairs to his room just missing the light scuffing the wall and hitting the railing falling back down, his second attempt he hit the fixture and blew out two more bulbs. point is there are only a handfull of things electrically that will cause bulbs to blow out over and over. Most likely of which is a high impeadance on the nuetral. (loose white wire)

try switching the fixture with the other one that will tell you alot. you will know if its the fixture for sure. You may also try a phillips halogena bulb. There energy saving dimmable and there pretty durable.

if it persist let us know
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

thank you for your help, we will try your sugestions.
    Will let you know if this doen't help.

Thanks again,

Barbanddon.