+ Reply to Thread

Default New heating system??

Hi I'm purchasing a new home...as we expected the heating system failed inspection. The house has oil heat w/ no water tank.

My question is should I get a tankless water system or just a new boiler and let that heat the water for us. I ask this question because of all the quotes we have gotten it's about a $2,000 difference. Please help!

Default Re: New heating system??

mdasilva6:

I would strongly recommend purchase of a new boiler and a companion indirect hot water heater.

I've been at it for close to 30 years & the boiler/IHWH is IMHO an unbeatable combination---the satisfaction I've experienced with this combo in my own house all these years strengthens my recommendation.

A standard, entry-level boiler at 85% AFUE efficiency can be had for as little as $1500, add $700 for the 40 gallon IHWH and the total is $2200 plus labor.

The IHWH is set up as a zone right next to the boiler & typically produces 40 gallons of HW for all your hot water needs.

The way an IHWH works is that it USES THE BOILER WATER as a heat exchanger to heat the domestic water supply & thus there is no additional/separate heater needed to heat up the water & waste fuel---you'll never run out of hot water--unless you've got a heated pool out in the back yard.

I would recommend boilers by Buderus, Burnham, Crown, Dunkirk, Peerless, Slant/Fin, Utica, Viessmann, Biasi and Weil-Mclain.

I would recommend indirect HW heaters that have a stainless steel inside tank by Triangle Tube Phase 3, Weil-Mclain, Lochinvar Squire, TFI Everhot, Viessmann Verticell, and Buderus Indirect---Amtrol Boilermate, Crown Megastor, and HTP Superstor have an internal coil instead of a stainless steel tank, but are also worth a look---HTP Superstor makes both coil & tank models---standard size for all these units is 40 gallons.

To estimate how much hot water your family uses, Google "peak usage""hot water"---these sites (like the one below) have charts where ypu can calculate how much HW your family uses during peak usage times (usually the morning rush hour).

I am not a fan of the "combo" boiler/internal heater coil for the domestic hot water---they always shortchange the family of adequate hot water for baths, clothes washing, dish washing, etc. because the internal coil can hold only a gallon or two of hot water at a time & is completely inadequate unless you happen to live alone.

I am even LESS of a fan of the "instant" hot water installs as I feel they cost much more, don't produce the HW they say they do, & cause more mechanical problems than the alternatives.

http://ag.uiuc.edu/~disaster/replace/waterhtr.html
    Last edited by NashuaTech; 10-09-2009 at 12:57 AM.

Smile Re: New heating system??

Thank you very much! Your info has been very helpful! We are going w/ a Burnham boiler, along w/ the Amtrol Boilermate.