+ Reply to Thread

Default Insulate around windows during replacement

Hello, I am having 11 windows replaced pretty soon (wood replaced with vinyl), and I was wondering if there is additional weatherproofing and/or insulating that would be best performed at the same time as the window replacement. Something that I do not want to realize later and say "I wish I had done that at the same time...." Our house is very poorly insulated which I hope to resolve a little bit at a time. It is a brick house with plaster walls and double hung pretty standard windows. I live in Baltimore MD, we have all 4 seasons pretty thoroughly. In the winter we have cold days but rarely cold stretches. We get a fair amount of rain in the spring/fall, and a lot of humidity in the summer. Thanks for any advice, and please let me know if I am posting in the wrong place.
    -Kevin

PS - I posted in "walls and ceilings" before before I found this thread,

Default Re: Insulate around windows during replacement

When installing windows you always want to caulk and insulate when installing. Depending on what kind of window you get(with or without nailing flange) you need to caulk around the window where it meets the house to make it water tight. I usually put a thick bead of caulk on the window before putting it in the rough opening. Remember to shim the bottom of the window up to allow for a little bit of an air gap. After the window is fastened to the house and before you put your trim back on you need to insulate around the window, between the window and the rough opening. The best method for this is a minimal expansion foam. You can find this at pretty much any hardware or home improvement store. DO NOT get high expansion foam. It can bow the window frame inward and create problems opening the window. Most of the time you can find foam that says for windows and doors and this is acceptable. Hope i answered your questions!
    Last edited by scfd529; 10-12-2009 at 06:54 PM.