+ Reply to Thread

Question Crabgrass in St. Augustine.

Recently sodded St. Augustine is full of crabgrass. At present I am pulling it by hand, but hope there is another solution out there such as a chemical or granule that I can use. Most can not be used on this type of grass since it closely resembles crabgrass. I live in Southern Texas with little to no rain, grass is on a sprinkler system. Hot sun.
    Has anyone had any experience with crabgrass?

Default Re: Crabgrass in St. Augustine.

Ive had St Augustine for years and years and found the best deterent to any lawn invader is get the St Augustine as healthy and thick as possible. You may have a few hitch hikers in early spring but after a little fertilizer and lots of water (St Augustine is insatiable for water) it will smother your car to death if you leave it parked on your lawn after a few hours. LOL Anyway, I suggest you dig or pull up all the unwanted greens as physically possible and give the SA some good ole manure and water it as much as possible. Before long it will be so thick you have to root down in the grass just to find the dirt.

Default Re: Crabgrass in St. Augustine.

Quote Originally Posted by Joefer View Post
    Recently sodded St. Augustine is full of crabgrass. At present I am pulling it by hand, but hope there is another solution out there such as a chemical or granule that I can use. Most can not be used on this type of grass since it closely resembles crabgrass. I live in Southern Texas with little to no rain, grass is on a sprinkler system. Hot sun.
    Has anyone had any experience with crabgrass?
    Not much else to do, as most chemicals will also affect the St. Augustine. I've got to ask, though. With the heat down there, and as much water as St. Augustine needs, why not the more hardy Bermuda?