+ Reply to Thread

Default Sawzall Quit Working

Now as a homeowner, considering the use this rather TOUGH tool would get in that situation...I mean I'm NOT a contractor and have probly used this tool a dozen or two times over the last 10 years I've owned it AND would not be without it I might ad...that's why I was surprised today to have it not work!! (worked the last time I used it) SOOOOOO I'm asking: Has anybody had thier Sawzall stop working? and if so what went wrong....only thing I can see to check is the two capped springs?? (whatever they're for...I expected to find a fuse under it but no) which I removed and re-installed to no avail...I suppose I'll have to find a service center but thought first I would throw it out there to get some others experiances possibly...thanks in advabnce for any reply some one might have time to make.BTW...it's a Millwaukee Sawzall

Default Re: Sawzall Quit Working

only thing I can see to check is the two capped springs?? (whatever they're for...I expected to find a fuse under it but no
    If these are on each side of the motor housing these are the " brushes ".
    On the end of the spring ..... the end that's inside the housing .... should be a piece of solid blocks of carbon graphite that conduct electricity to the motor's spinning armature. These evently wear out and will cause the motor not to start. A sign of them wearing out are ..... excessive sparks ( arcing ) inside the motor housing.
    Start with replacing both of them shouldn't cost too much .... the good thing is you have a brand name tool and they should be readily available .... compared to a cheap import tool.

Other than that it require opening the tool and checking continuity of the cord and switch for an open condition ...... worst case the motor is cooked though it's not likely from the occasional use .
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Canuk nailed the springy thingies. Other reasons it may not run would be a broken plug, broken/damaged cord, broken/damaged cord where it enters the handle, or a bad switch.

Before tearing it all apart, you may want to try it in a different outlet, just in case you have a bad outlet or tripped GFCI or breaker.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Milwaukee sawzalls are well now for the switches to go bad. Milwaukee was bought out by TTI...Tectronics Industries awhile back. TTI also bought out Ryobi, they make all the Rigid brand power tools for Emerson Electric.

If you change the brushes and it still wont run.Take it in to have it repaired.It may take you forever to repair it on your own or get all the parts back together.

Thanks to you all! the brushes are gone...there was nothing under the springs that I saw....will recheck that and try and locate some new ones. A. Spruce....funny you mention the outlet because I also suffer from CDO AND CRS and must have checked that outlet among others close by AND the breakers THREE times after learning this the stupid way...go figure DOH! I'll bet it's the brushes or the trigger switch...thanks again guys!

The CDO I can deal with , the CRS is what's the most annoying!

Good luck with the tool, let us know how it goes.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

My mistake....plenty of brushes left...was the trigger switch...a common problem with these. Thanks again to all!

Thanks for posting back.

my current sawzall I bought sometime back in the mid 90's I havent had any problems with it of any kind. and I have never heard of the switches as being a common problem with them. I also have a milwalkee worm gear saws and haven't had any problems with them either. the only milwalkee product that I don't like is their hammer drill and that is because it has too short of a stroke and so is a lot higher pitched then either the bosch or the hilti.