+ Reply to Thread

Default painting guttering

My son wants to paint his guttering. I have heard that paint will not hold well on metal guttering, but he would rather try painting than replacing it. Any suggestions as to what kind of paint would hold best?

Default Re: painting guttering

Are the gutters alum,galvanized,etc ???

http://www.askthebuilder.com/274_Alu..._Painted.shtml

I would have to go look at them to be 100% sure, but I think they are aluminum.

Painting of gutters or any other metal is fine if you are using a high quality metal primer. These products can be found at most paint stores. Depending on your area and the environment you live in the rep's at your local paint store can recommend the proper top coat paint. As with all paints though it will not last forever. Be 100% sure that they aren't just dirty before you apply paint to them. Elbow grease can go along way and the gutters need to be extremely clean before applying any type of primer or paint. Give them a good scrubbing before you buy any paint.

Belle85,

If your son has pre-painted extruded aluminum guttering,they may be painted with a good acrylic house paint. Make sure that they are clean and free of oxidized paint.

Bare galvanized guttering should be primed first with a latex/acrylic based galvanize primer followed by a finish coat of acrylic housepaint.

For both galvanized and aluminum guttering, acrylic paints and primers are the better than oil.

I remember many years ago painters would wash galvanized gutters or any metal with vinegar before painting.
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Thanks to all for the advice. We'll make sure what they are made of and proceed with the project.