+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grab bars

Default Grab bars

A while back one of the gang was retofitting some grab bars into a tiled shower - Tommy I think. He used some sort of wall anchor instead of trying to locate studs in the walls. What was that anchor and is it code worthy? A client has called and asked for some bars to be installed in her shower and short of tearing out the tile surrounds to install blocking, I'd like to offer an alternative.

The searches I've done so far have given height requirements and minimum load capacities. And everything so far is saying to locate fasteners into studs or blocking.

Default Re: Grab bars

I think I may have found my answer, but would still like the opinions of my fellow tradesmen.

http://www.grabbars******.com/Instal...stallation.htm

Fully building code compliant: the WingIts™ grab bar fastening system exceeds all applicable federal regulations and national building codes. WingIts meet all the requirements and guidelines of the ADA, (Sec. 4.26), F446-85, BOCA, the Fair Housing Act, the ICC, and the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. Verified by independent testing at the NAHB Research Center (ASTM F446-85) . Attendees at a recent series of testing at the NAHB Research Center included Building Owners and Management Association International (BOMA), government officials from HUD and the Access Board, consultants to the DOJ and American Hotel &Motel Association (AH&MA).

Looks interesting.

I'm just thinking they would be only as sound as the wall board is. Any moisture issues would reduce the effective anchor surface.

Party-pooper.

I guess today the glass is half empty.

The only thing I see that might be an issue is they mention being installed through 5/8" drywall and being compliant. I didn't see anything with respect to 1/2" drywall which is far more common in this area on walls. Maybe I just missed that spec, though.
    Last edited by bp21901; 10-04-2007 at 07:41 AM. Reason: not enuff coffee....

Youse guys aren't much fun at all.

This bed's too soft, this bed's too hard.......jeez.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post

My sleep number is 85!!

My dog doesn't have a preferred sleep number as far as I can tell!

Quote Originally Posted by bp21901 View Post
    The only thing I see that might be an issue is they mention being installed through 5/8" drywall and being compliant. I didn't see anything with respect to 1/2" drywall which is far more common in this area on walls. Maybe I just missed that spec, though.
    I saw that too. This is a residence, not commercial, so the likelihood of 1/2" is certain. I also know the quality of workmanship in this house is less than stellar. I tried to warn the current owner not to buy it. I told her that the place was scary, probably had electrical issues, etc. Two months ago she had the main breaker, buss bars, and a significant amount of rewiring work done because of arcing in the panel and loss of power in certain areas of the house. But I digress.

She called yesterday wanting the grab bars and all I have is a vague message on the machine of the request. I think that the tile is on cement backer which is overlaid on the original drywall, I think. It's been a while since I've been over there.

Quote Originally Posted by ****hiller View Post

Nothing's wrong with this bed! I think it's Canuk's fault, he's always so serious!

Nothing's wrong with this bed! I think it's Canuk's fault, he's always so serious!
    Just a grouchy old man.