+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy Dog Odors in Raw Wood Floor

Mine is a 2-part question. My very, very old dog's incontinence has gotten worse and worse, and he recently started urinating in the kitchen. Problem: the kitchen floor is currently down to the raw wood base floor (very old house, too), awaiting underlayment and tile. But now I need to get rid of the odor that has soaked into the wood before going on. Question 1 - is there something I can do to get rid of the odor enough to possibly paint/seal the wood? Question 2 - is there something else that I can use on the floor after my dog is gone (probably not far off) that will completely rid the wood of the odor? Help - I don't know what to do (I may be able to move his food and prevent him from going in there with some work - no door on the kitchen - but I still need to figure out how to get rid of the smell that is already there). Thanks!
    Jan

Default Re: Dog Odors in Raw Wood Floor

My condolences on the aging pooch.

You can treat the area with Urine Off or Natures Miracle which will cut the odor down, but not fully eliminate it. To completely stop the odor you'll have to seal the floor with a pigmented shellac, such as Zinnsers BIN primer (red label ). One or two good coats of sealer plus the new backer board and tile and the odor will be a thing of the past.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!