+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default A new member with an old problem.

Hello all, I am so happy I found this site. I hope to be able to contribute some valuable input. I have a problem that Iím sure someone can offer an opinion on. I have very low water pressure. When I open a faucet pressure is good for approximately 2-3 seconds and drops dramatically (at least 75%). It affects the entire house, all faucets etc... Here are my details:
    1. My water comes from the city supply.
    2. I live on a hill, up from the main supply line.
    3. My neighbors do not have the same problem.
    4. I have cleaned ALL aerators/screens/cartridges and valves at the faucets.
    5. I have a pressure regulator, ĹĒ in/out.
    6. My copper lines are all ĹĒ, all original as far as I can tell.
    7. My supply from the street is ĺĒ.
    8. My house is about 50 yrs old.
    9. I have not made any major changes to the plumbing system.
    10. I do not have a pressure tank anywhere in the system.
    11. This has been a problem from the day we moved in. 1 yr ago.
    12. I have tested the pressure with a gauge (110psi all faucets closed, 20psi one faucet open). I have adjusted the pressure regulator without success.

I went to a local hardware store and was advised to remove the pressure regulator all together. He said he does not think they are needed in our area. I donít have a warm and fuzzy feeling about that. I figure it was there for a reason. Besides, my neighbors still have theirs. So thatís what I got. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: A new member with an old problem.

Perhaps there is a problem with the water meter?

That was my first thought also "water meter". Check to see if the valve is all the way open at the meter.
    My neighbors pressure went way down one time. Next thing I no he is knocking on my door accusing my irrigation contractor that just worked on my sprinklers a few week prior of tapping into his water line.
    So I turned on my sprinklers had him watch his meter. His meter wasnt spinning so I new I wasnt tied into his. I looked at his meter, the valve was half open. Just so happens pulbic works were out 3 week prior checking the backflow device.....

Check to see if the valve is wide open.
    Just a thought.

110 lbs pressure you should have a regulator, however the one you have is probably defective. I would suggest replacing it.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    110 lbs pressure you should have a regulator, however the one you have is probably defective. I would suggest replacing it.
    Jack
    They guy at the hardware store claimed that when a regulator goes bad, the pressure increases. So do you disagree with that? I read somewhere else that the pressure could go down if the regulator is fouled with sediment & etc...

Quote Originally Posted by moverwise View Post
    Perhaps there is a problem with the water meter?

That's what I was thinking. But I need to unbury it first. The water company came and claimed that they could not locate it. Based on my neighbors' meter locations, I figure I can find mine easy. There's no access lid in the yard that I can see.

Question Re: A new member with an old problem.

If the problem started shortly after the irrigation was installed, the problem may be in a blockage in the pressure regulator that is obstructing the flow. Sometimes when connections are made people will stick something in the pipe to stop the water from entering the new connection while soldering. It sounds like the blockage isnt complete and is allowing the water to seep through and build up pressure but when you open a faucet the flow causes the regulator to seize up. If you can locate the regulator before replacing you can check for trash or loose sediment that may be blocking the flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Solarmapper View Post
    If the problem started shortly after the irrigation was installed, the problem may be in a blockage in the pressure regulator that is obstructing the flow. Sometimes when connections are made people will stick something in the pipe to stop the water from entering the new connection while soldering. It sounds like the blockage isnt complete and is allowing the water to seep through and build up pressure but when you open a faucet the flow causes the regulator to seize up. If you can locate the regulator before replacing you can check for trash or loose sediment that may be blocking the flow.
    I understand your advise. But I never had an irrigation system installed. I think you're confusing my post with someone else's. I have not had any work done on my plumbing. But I see what you mean.

I think he read it wrong about the irrigation. It was about my neighbor, I opened his valve all the way and he was ok.

Ok back to your problem. Shouldnt the city be able to find your valve. They own it not you, if its metal all they need is a metal detector. You should know where its at anyway, just in case of a break on your side of the meter....

you said in your first post that you live up the hill from water supply. About how many feet in rise are you from water main. Every foot of rise will decrease water pressure about 1/2 pound. Your staitc pressure will remain the same.