+ Reply to Thread

Default We just bought a 1920's Victorian........

The house has been beautifully kept up. Upon noseing around at move in time I had found 2 of the most wonderful antique desks. Remember the old cast iron ones? I now own 2 of these and they need a little TLC. Can anyone tell me what I can do to make them look nice again and display in my home? We have found little things here and there that need tending to but don't know where to start. I guess the worst one would be, we have a second floor walk out and one of the half gables has bats in it can anyone give me an isea how to get rid of them? We can't walk out our back door without getting bombed by them at night.

Thank You,

Crisdrexjr

Default Re: We just bought a 1920's Victorian........

I for one have never seen a cast iron desk. Could you post some pictures please?

As for the Bats, if you can tell where they are entering and exiting plug the hole at night while they are out foraging.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Smile Re: We just bought a 1920's Victorian........

As for the antique desks yes they are the old school desks. I am excited to get going on them this winter to restore them. They are cast iron sides and feet, the wood seat and desk top. What a wondeful find they were and so sorry for the previous owners.

As for the bats I went to our DNR and they can't come to the house but they told me how and what to use to plug the holes. Eeesh what a job. the soffet is shot and rotted terrible and broken on the bottom end. They seem to be gone now that it has been cooler here so as soon as we know for sure we will be patching and plugging. The garage is a different story tho. It is as old as the house and as air conditioned as I wish my house was. The only way we can get rid of the bats now from there is to tear down the garage. I hate the thought of it and maybe if we did take and restore it we might not have the bats again. The roof is less than 5 years old and the loft roof is still the old pine branches. It leans to much and the roof is sagged and wavey. Take on step in the loft and the whole garage wobbles.
    And half the 4" thick wood floor is rotted and gone. sigh
    I wish I had the funding to restore, it would be beautiful.

Thanks for your offerings of help. I greatly appreciate it all. I'll be back with more questions as they come up.

crisdrexjr

crisdrexjr075@yahoo.com

Default Re: We just bought a 1920's Victorian........

I am fully agree with the views of crisdrexjr. As for the antique desks yes they are the old school desks. I am excited to get going on them this winter to restore them. They are cast iron sides and feet, the wood seat and desk top. What a wondeful find they were and so sorry for the previous owners. In my opinion, I think ther are the ols school desks. And you can restore them easily. With reistoring it look very nice and for make more beautiful. You can paint them.
    according to Hidden Content another property and part of impulsive group