+ Reply to Thread

Default Heat build up - Storm Door/Entry Door

Let me first say this issue has to do with heat build up between a full view glass storm door and a fiberglass entry door. House faces south and receives direct sun light. For years, I have had a full glass anderson storm door (3000 series) and a steel entry door. The house receives direct sunlight and heat was trapped between the two doors, but it never seemed to cause any damage. Well, I just got a new Pella fiberglass entry door installed and they reinstalled the anderson storm door. The heat build up is so bad you cannot even touch the entry door. I removed the glass panel from the storm door and put in the full screen for now. My wife and I really hate leaving the screen in all the time for obvious reasons.

After a lot of searching, I have found a ProVia (396-V) storm door that has a full glass pane, with a 12 inch screen vent on the bottom. This door is expensive, and I do not know if the vent at the bottom will allow enough heat to escape to solve the problem. Other have told me to get a piece of low e glass made to replace the glass in the Anderson door, but I am not sure if that will work either. Any thoughts or experience with this?

Default Re: Heat build up - Storm Door/Entry Door

Did you call Pella to see what there suggestions would be. I know Pella has storm doors, not sure the of the cost. Years ago doors came with different plastic designs on them. The plastic would heat up between the storm and main door and melt off the door.

I dont know anything about the ProVia(396-V)door. I tried looking up the specs,didnt find much on it.....

I would call Pella

Default Re: Heat build up - Storm Door/Entry Door

Not a wood butcher but have a friend who installed Pella..

He will never do again and gave up over warranty issues.

" but will never install again.