+ Reply to Thread

Default Tub Deck Tile Question

I'm tiling a tub deck prior to installing the tub due to a lack of space to insert tiles on the back and sides. I can't install the apron tiles because the plumber needs access from there. So, my question is: How far do I overlap the deck tiles in the front to accommodate the apron tiles? The width of a tile plus something for the mortar? I'd like this edge to be as near perfect as possible as it's the most visible in the room. Thanks.

Default Re: Tub Deck Tile Question

Yes, the tile thickness plus the adhesive. Try to allow a touch more that the tile and adhesive just incase you get in any trouble.Its much easier to add a touch more adhesive than starting from scratch if its wrong.

Good Luck

Perhaps a counter trim tile can help.

"" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush

Yea 90 degree bullnose corners look nice. Depending on the color and pattern of the ceramic your using they my be hard to match up to you tile.......Some manufactures make a matching tile for 90 deg

I'm using marble tile so the bull nose is out.

How much should I allow for the adhesive? I'm using a 1/4 x 3/16 V notched trowel.

Another question: Due to the deck dimensions, if I start at the front of the tub (which I have to due to the first tile having a chamfer) I end up with a narrow 1 1/2 in tile at the wall. Normally this is bad so as an alternative I thought I might cut a tile in half, polish the edge up nice and put in toward the back where it wouldn't be noticed. That would leave a larger tile at the end. Problem is: The deck tile lines would not line up with the walls (using same tile on walls). Not sure if this would be an ugly issue. One note: There is very little of the deck showing maybe 3-4" all around the tub lip.