+ Reply to Thread

Red face Help with cast iron sink resurface

Hello,
    I am new to this forum, so bear with me if there has been a discussion on this topic. I searched and didn't find anything, but may have not searched properly.

Here is my problem. I have an old (probably 1930's) cast iron farm sink. It is evident that in the past it has been painted or refinished (I know this because it is peeling). It also has a couple of chips that have been painted over. I have been told that refinishing techniques that work on bathtubs will not hold up to the daily use of a kitchen sink. I have also been told that the absolute best way to make it "like new" is to have it removed and re-porceleined (sp?). I cannot find anything ****** to tell me how to contact someone who would do this. I live in the Austin Texas area and feel certain there are bound to be restorers that can handle this, but have not been able to find anyone.

Anybody out there want to take this on?

Thanks!

Default Re: Help with cast iron sink resurface

Hi! I have exactly the same problem! I had the sink "re-enameled" which means repainted and it did not last 1 month. Very disappointed! Now I cannot find anyone to re-porcelain it. It is my dream sink, but I may have to just go with a new one. any help would be appreciated!
    Tracey

Maybe look around in the link below

http://www.refinishers******.com/default.htm
    Gizmo

Cut it 3 times & it's still to short.
    Inventor of the Miter Master Plus.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

The problem is you cant put new porcelain over old. Sink refinishing holds up well. We do it all the time. You have to realize if you drop a heavy pan in there it will chip, but so will an original porcelain sink. We acid etch the porcelain to bond the new top coat to the old. It will last that way. Do Not buy the "do it yourself kit" from the big box stores, they will not work. www.resurfacespe******t.com

What about powder coating?
    Some guys they just give up living
    And start dying little by little, piece by piece
    Some guys come home from work and wash up
    And go racin' in the street

Bruce Springsteen, Racing in The Street