+ Reply to Thread

Question crown molding over a brick wall

I would like to add crown molding to my livingroom and I have a full wall brick fireplace. Would it be appropriate to put the crown molding over the brick wall or just butt it to the brick?

Default Re: crown molding over a brick wall

Adding the crown molding over the fire place will look great, making it look complete. Theres different ways to attach the molding to the brick. I cut the crown to the desired length,take a drill with a small drill bit hold the crown in place drill enough to start a hole in the morter joints. Remove the crown then drill in the same holes with a larger masonry bit. Then smack it a golf tee,dowel rod or some slivers of wood into the hole cutting it off flush.The wood will give you something to nail to.
    Sometimes I add a wood freeze board to the brick a little lower than the height of the crown molding for an exposed reveal. Then run the crown molding nailing the bottom to the freeze board.
    Depending on how deep the morter joints are raked down you may need to grout the small holes at the botton of the crown at each morter joint.,I guess you could caulk it also...Six to one half a dozen to another.
    Theres many way to anchor the crown to the brick. Theres a new miter angle finder on the market called Miter Master Plus, check it out it's great for the diyer and pro. It should be on Amazon.google the name.

Good Luck