+ Reply to Thread

Default replacing old boiler thermostat

I have an old arco boiler and radiator system for heating my house. The problem I have is the thermostat itself. It sometimes wont come on unless i take the cover off and move the contacts. I went to lowes to find a replacent thermostat. After explaining to the gentleman what i had he recomemded me to a heat only dial thermostat from honeywell. I explained to him that the old thermostat had three wires hooked up to it label (R), (W), (B). He told me the new thermostat had R<W<Y hookups and that I would not hook up the wire labed (B). I went home and hooked up the new thermostat according to his instructions. The boiler system now wont fire on. The pilot light is, and remains lit. Does the (B) wire need to be hooked up somehow? Pics are of old thermostat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP8046.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	6.7 KB 
ID:	2828   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP8047.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	2829   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP8049.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	2830  

Default Re: replacing old boiler thermostat

You should contact Honeywell directly at www.honeywell.com. state you problem with the different wire codes and ask for help.

Default Re: replacing old boiler thermostat

I advise you to trace the wire back to your boiler control unit. You may have one of those control where it requires the 12/24 DC volt pwr supply to the thermostat. If my memory serves me right, the 3 wires are 12/24DC positive, ground, boiler control. Once you know which is which, any modern thermostat will do the job...