+ Reply to Thread

Default What is the black gunk in my bathroom sink drain

What is the black gunk that cloggs my bathroom sink? What is the best way to keep it under control. I take apart the trap and clean out the drain and it comes back after a few months. Smells really bad too. Any advice that will save me from doing this ritual would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: What is the black gunk in my bathroom sink drain

It could be anything from shaving cream,tooth paste,soap, etc that builds up around the pipe them molds. Pour some bleach down the drain use a baby bottle brush to really clean the inside of the pipe out.

Thanks Gizmo.
    I 've tried the bleach and stuff. Guess The mold exists beyond where the brush reaches.

The black gunk that you are describing is found in all drain lines from kitchen and bath sinks. Everytime I have to snake out a drain it comes back with this black goo. It is a combination of everything that goes down drains. There is really no way that you will get rid of this permanently. It is in every house and every drain.

Usually indicates that the drain in question is either improperly pitched or vented, but not always.