+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default First Time Tile-Job

I've been reading around the forum and have found a LOT of great information about very specific situations. I actually (for now) have a number of general questions in my FIRST post here before I begin my FIRST bathroom remodel in my FIRST home.

I'll take links to other posts as an answer to any of these if the subject has already been covered in a how-to for new DIY-ers sort of way.

Thanks in advance!!

------------------------------

General info: Pulling out vinyl flooring/vanity/toilet/vinyl shower surround and leaving in tub. Replacing surround area with Durock. Doing subway tile up to the celling for shower surround then dropping to backsplash height for the rest of the bathroom. Tiling floor.

1. Cement backerboard surround - membrane in front or tarpaper behind? Or neither???
    2. What if my 1/2" backerboard is thicker than the drywall in the rest of the bathroom? Do you anticipate that it possibly could be?
    3. how do you make holes in cement backer board for your fixtures to fit through?
    4. Tile the walls or the floor first? How should they meet nicely?
    5. Final answer: What type tile adhesive to I use on walls? Floors?
    6. Any special instructions on where the subfloor/backerboard/tile meet the threshold?
    7. Paint-on coating - do I do the whole bathroom? Over the tile or just over the grout?

Default Re: First Time Tile-Job

1. Cement backerboard surround - membrane in front or tarpaper behind? Or neither???
    A: Neither,use a paint on waterproffing, theres a few different brands on the market.
    http://www.laticrete.com/Portals/0/d...ts/lds2360.pdf

2. What if my 1/2" backerboard is thicker than the drywall in the rest of the bathroom? Do you anticipate that it possibly could be?
    A: It shouldnt be unless you have 3/8 board on you existing walls.

3. how do you make holes in cement backer board for your fixtures to fit through?
    A: Jig saw,drywall jab saw,utility knife,etc.
    Note: If there end up being a stud in the way,it will need to be knotched out alittle depending on how deep your fixture is.
    Note: You can waterproof the stud after the hole is cut,thats your call.

4. Tile the walls or the floor first? How should they meet nicely?
    A: Tile the walls first, then work your way out the entrance.
    NOTE: If the wall/floor tile have a pattern that needs to line up,figure that out before installing the wall tile. Leave youself some layout marks for reference points.

5. Final answer: What type tile adhesive to I use on walls? Floors?
    A: Read the instructions that came with the tile,it will give you adhesive optiond as well as the correct trowell notch size.
    Note: The floor will probably be thin set morter. It all depends on the tile.
    Note: Clean any adhesive off the tile as you go. It's a pain in the rear to do after it dries.

6. Any special instructions on where the subfloor/backerboard/tile meet the threshold?
    A: It depends on what type of flooring your butting into,carpet,wood,tile,etc..will they be at the same hgt when complete, if not which side is higher...You have many options,wood,corian,travertine,or ceramic transition strips. Note:dont wait until the last miniute to figure it out.

7. Paint-on coating - do I do the whole bathroom? Over the tile or just over the grout?
    A: I think your talking about sealing the grout joints.Seal just the grout joints,remember you have backer board thats been waterproofed.The sealer will protect the grout from stains.
    Note: Read the manufactures recomendations on the product. Ive seen the pro's seal the entire tile and grout.

Note: Protect the tub before you get started with anything,use a old blanket,sheet etc,just in case you drop a hammer,tile,etc. You dont want to damage the tub.
    Take your time make sure your layout lines are plumb and level from the get-go.

Note: depending on how thick the floor tile and backer board is you will need a thick wag ring for the toilet closet collar before the toilet is re-set.
    Have fum and good luck

Gizmo - thanks for the info! I can't tell you how... calming... having all the bits of info I'm missing in the same place.

No problem shmooze.....you also need to caulk all the corners in the tub area after the grout cures. Use a good tub/bath caulk. make sure all the grout film is off the tile before you caulk..

Good luck