first the "problem"...
i have a drain in the basement/garage that has always been clogged/broken since my parents bought this house 30 yrs ago.
The drain has recently started "working" in the last few weeks.
the question is... where did the drain originally run to and where is the water going now? Should I even be worrying about this?the water is stagnant enough to have mosquitos and the sump hasn't run in weeks.. at least

Now the stats. This house was built in the early 20's. the drain has a pipe(original cast iron) running to it that comes from one of the bathtubs(1st floor), the washer and a utlity sink(in the basement). the drain is in the basement floor and also takes rainwater.

repairs: my parents tried many times over the yrs to repair this and finally gave up. they cut a square hole around the drain and added a sump to pump the water out to the back yard. i remember my parents pulling tree roots out of the drain but i seem to remember broken pipe too.
they also replaced an old rusted out septic in the early 80's. there is a deep cistern (has trash in it) close to the back of the house and a well(filled in) of some sort further down the back yard (75-100ft).

i live at the top of a hill in the kansas city area.