+ Reply to Thread

Default Sidewalk overcast

I am trying to find out how to cast a sidewalk over an existing sidewalk. I need to raise it 5 inches to match the patio and parking pad so wheels can roll from patio to driveway. Help

Default Re: Sidewalk overcast

you should remove the old sidewalk, it doesn't work to put new concrete over old.
    HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!

Oklahoma City, OK

Default Re: Sidewalk overcast

If the old walk is in good shape and has not had heaving/settling problems, then adding the overlay won't be a problem. If the old walk has settling/heaving problems, then it should be removed, a proper base installed and the new walkway poured.

Quote Originally Posted by cjsand View Post
    you should remove the old sidewalk, it doesn't work to put new concrete over old.
    Generally, I would agree, but in this case where the new slab would be 5" thick, there would be no concerns of cracking or crumbling. A couple pieces of rebar drilled into the surface of the original walkway would keep the new one from shifting. By not disturbing the ground/original slab, there should be no settling or shifting with the additional concrete.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!