+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Double Tap

Default Double Tap

How much does it cost to replace a double tap in the main electrical box?

Thanks!

Default Re: Double Tap

I think what you're saying is that someone doubled up on one of the breakers vs. putting in another (two black wires tapped onto a breaker).

If you have room in your box, the price should be minimal... would expect no more than $100. It's a small job.

If you don't have room, that's a different story and I can't answer that question. I don't really know.

You decided to split up your issues with the inspection, eh?

Might be worth bringing in a contractor who could price up these things for you if you're planning on getting the house price reduced.

Is it an old house you fell in love with?
    Last edited by peterbouchard; 10-04-2009 at 09:53 AM.

Yes it is an old house. 1925. We do like it we are just worried about the garage and the roof. I don't want to get in over our heads!

Got any pics?

I would assume it's still a buyers market out there, so you probably have choices.

Have you talked to any contractors who might be willing to come in and give you a quote?

Not sure the size of the house, the roof layout, etc. This is all going to be considered in the cost. If a good size roof, you might be talking around 10k or so. That said, I'm just going based on some experience. If I were buying the house, I'd want to be sure.

Again, how big is the garage? Is it a barn? Replacing a sill and studs may not be so bad. Not sure how much it's leaning and what it would take to sure that up.

Sounds like the chimney might need to be taken down below the roof line when redoing the roof. That might run you up to 1.5-2k. I had a small one done years ago for $500.

I bet when all set and done you might be talking up to 20k for roof, chimney, and garage. If you're going to want to get the price lowered, get a quote to use for that.

Where is the property? How much land?

The house is in CT it is on .11 acres.

I don't have any pictures of the damage. Put here is a pic of the front of the house. I don't have any pics of the garage.

We have had a contractor look at the garage. Remove lowersiding at perimeter of garage. Jack up the 2 car garage. Remove cracked slab and footings. Dig new footings. Pour a haunched monolithic slab. Pour new apron. Fasten garage plates to new slab. Replace siding. He also is going to replace the damaged sill and post that had termite damage.

As for the roof. From what the contractor told us and the inspector it has maybe 5-8 yrs left. Not awful, but that when it gets replaced it will be very expensive because they have 4 layers of shingles on it. And we would have to rip all that out.
    From the pic I attached you can tell its not just a 2 sided roof. Its kinda funky
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front house.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	2826  

SWEET!

I can see why you like it and can see why it was a natural shingled roof. I would go back to that if you can afford to.

Picture the entire house an off-white (cream) vs. white with a natural shingled roof. I probably would change the green shutters.

Didn't realize the garage needed so much work.

good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindylynn13 View Post
    How much does it cost to replace a double tap in the main electrical box?

Thanks!
    more importantly two wires under one breaker is a clear sign of handyman doing electrical work. I have a stack of pics a foot tall of handyman wiring. a good way to tell is a plug tester, plug it in every outlet and shake it a little see if the lights go out some reason most handymen cant make a solid connection, look for stuff that doesnt match like one white grounded outlet in a room of brown ungrounded ones. cieling fans taking your scalp off, humming and shaking, plastic covers on metal boxes, flying splices on knob and tube, extension cords feeding attic fans. coffee cans used as junction boxes, soap bottles used as floating outlets in pools...(I didnt actually see that one personnally)

point is a few hundred bucks to have an electrician look a little closer would tell you alot. Most Home inspectors dont know jack about electric, I seen one home inspector tell a homeowner the house was all knob and tube and it was built in the 70's... he had no idea at all
    Help us name our new Hidden Content