+ Reply to Thread

Default Bathroom Stem faucet tight and dripping

I have two handle STEM STERLING 11L-11H/C faucet. I have drip from both hot and cold water from the shower head. To stop I have to tighten it very hard to the max, yet I get some drip occuring. I changed the stem 6 months back on cold faucet. What do I need exactly to do so that I can fix it right. Also when I installed the new faucet I had problem with the packing washer ( i had to cut it in length so as the knob easily turns, is that right way to do it.
    Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Dev
    The stem faucet I have is as in the link

DANCO A015250B STEM STERLING 11L-11H/C

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/%28...aspx?SKU=44276

Default Re: Bathroom Stem faucet tight and dripping

If the stem is dripping, it is the packing, if the spigot is dripping it is the washer or the seat.

Thanks Ron
    Its not the knob leak. It leaks from the shower head. Problem is I have to turn the knobs very tight to shut the water..Next when I change the stem washer and seat what is the right way so that it turns easily and ensures no drip. woud I have to cut the length of the packing washer for easy movement.

I appreciate your help.

Get a seat wrench and take the seat with you, there are a couple different thread sizes available. When you install the stem nut don't tighten it down all the way, just make it tight enough to prevent stem leak. Over time as it wears you can just give it a little turn more to stop leaks.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks Jack for the info. When you mean the stem nut, is the nut holding the packing washer. I tried searching the web for a picture of the complete stem assembly parts but couldn't.
    Thanks

Yes, it compresses the packing against the stem.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb