+ Reply to Thread

Default Leaking Drip Pan

The condensate/drip pan to my inside ac unit is leaking water on the floor. My question is does anyone know of a good product that adheres to the exterior of a cold wet piece of metal? I have tried these Marine, Plumbers, and gas tank epoxies with no luck. These epoxies won't harden (the water is too cold I guess), and simply fall off. Spray insulating foam won't stick to the wet pan. I know the general location of leak. I don't want to use roofing tar, because of the fumes, my daughter has chronic asthma. My only other option is to wait to winter, when the heat pump is working in reverse to put on a product. AC companies just want to sell me a new unit for $6,000. It's a 25 year old heat pump that has always provided icy cold air here in sunny Florida it would be a waste to replace a good unit just because of a tiny leak. Thanks in advance for any information.

Very Respectfully,
    Nick

Default Re: Leaking Drip Pan

I wonder is something like radiator stop leak available at auto parts stores would work?
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks, it makes perfect sense, I will give it a try, I don't know why I didn't think of it. Sure has to be allot better than taking out the ac filter twice a day to get to the plastic catch pan to empty it. Many thanks once again.

Nick

I believe geocel makes a product in a caulking tube that seals under water.

Depending on how much water is always in the pan you could wipe the water out leaving the rag inside the pan to stop the water from dripping. Go to a local roofing contractor have them give you a small pc's of peal and stick to wrap arond the outside of the pan. Roofers always have partial rolls left over, you only need a small pc's....Do you have any roofer friends,any of your friends have roofer friends....ask around.
    Make sure the outside of the pan is clean and dry. It wont hurt to dry the outside with a hair dryer,it will heat the metal also and make the peal and stick adhere better. You can add the peel and stick inside and outside if you want.