+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Installing gutters AFTER installing the drip edge

We live in Atlanta and just had a new roof of arch. shingles installed. We agreed to the installation of an aluminum drip edge on the advice of the roofer. The drip edge is nailed to the decking under the shingles just above the fascia board and appears to be installed properly. It hangs down and covers approx. 1-1/2 to 2 in. of the fascia, which is 1 x 6 boards.

Here's our problem. We contracted to have new seamless gutters installed. It is my understanding that the back side of the gutter should be positioned between the fascia board and the drip edge such that the drip edge overlaps into the gutter. If this is the case, then how is the gutter attached to the fascia without nailing or screwing through the aluminum of the drip edge? When I questioned the roofing co. salesman, he suggested 3 options: 1. Place the gutter on top of the drip edge and screw both to the fascia; 2. Place the gutter behind the drip edge and screw both to the fascia; or 3. Screw the gutter to the fascia BELOW the drip edge. Each of these suggestions appears to negate the purpose of the drip edge, which is to prevent water from splashing against the plywood decking. Is it possible that the drip edge has sufficient elasticity that when turned upward the gutter can be screwed/nailed directly to the fascia and then dropped back into place over the back side of the gutter without damaging it?

I am seriously concerned about the recommendations. Any suggestions/explanations/comments would be greatly appreciated. I want to be sure that the correct method is used to install our new gutters. Thank you in advance. Hope to hear from you soon.

Default Re: Installing gutters AFTER installing the drip edge

The gutter needs to be behind the drip edge and there is no harm in fastening through the drip edge into the gutter and into the fascia. If the roof is properly installed, then the drip edge acts only as a safety back-up because the roofing material sheds the water into the gutter, the drip edge just makes sure that water can't back travel under the shingles or if it gets to the roofing felt, it still gets to the gutter and not down the fascia.

When you call for quotes on seamless gutters, make sure the estimator and installers know that the gutter is to be retrofitted and installed behind the drip edge, then check their work to make sure you've gotten what you're paying for.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I agree with the post above. The gutter needs to be under the drip edge.If your using a company that forms the gutters onsite the back of the gutter is higher than the front after its formed and tucks under the drip edge.Have them show you a sample you will see the larger flange on the back of the gutter. If your worried about the nail going through the drip edge have the installer seal it during installation. Its not needed but should satisfy your fears. If you have at least a 4/12 roof pitch or better the water will go directly into the gutter.

http://www.gutterworks.com/hidden_hanger.html
    http://www.gutterworks.com/Gutterchecklist.htm
    http://www.gutterworks.com/Gutterchecklist.htm

Thanks so much for the information. The gutters are going to be installed with the new screw-in clips rather than with the old nails and spacers. The clip sounds like a wonderful invention, but is there any down side to its use? Regarding sealing the gutters: Do you mean that each screw head should be caulked? What do you suggest? There are so many details! Thanks for your help. Hope to hear from you soon.

Many gutter hangers screw in tightly below the edge where the drip edge will contact. They are not sealed, however if you install metal gutters over wood and the wood gets wet, it will surely rot over time.

That is why spacer blocks used to be used. They allowed air to ventilate behind the gutters.

Today I recommend aluminum coil stock fully rapped over the trim before we install our gutters to protect the house even if the gutters get overwhelmed.

Thanks for that information, Ron. I was hoping that was the case. Now, I'm going to have to be sure that the gutter guys don't screw into the drip edge. It makes sense that they don't. Thanks, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron remodeler View Post
    Many gutter hangers screw in tightly below the edge where the drip edge will contact. They are not sealed, however if you install metal gutters over wood and the wood gets wet, it will surely rot over time.

That is why spacer blocks used to be used. They allowed air to ventilate behind the gutters.

Today I recommend aluminum coil stock fully rapped over the trim before we install our gutters to protect the house even if the gutters get overwhelmed.
    Question on spacers: I have a 1917 house with maybe 3 inch fascia, 2 inches of it covered by crown molding up to the drip edge. I want to keep the molding (in a historic district). I am going to screw in 2x3 spacer blocks shaped to the molding to hold the gutters out to just under the drip edge edge. Then the big flow of water will still hit inside the gutters during the monsoon rains. I think my idea is original -- but maybe not with you serious roofers. Good idea so far? any suggestions? (that don't involve tearing off the original crown molding; that's too easy). FNB

FN Burkhart, you need historic type gutters, not modern aluminum gutters.

Akartis, my first suggestion is that you put a couple coats of high quality house paint on the fascia and drip edge before installing gutters. Next, the gutter goes outside the drip edge, do not slide any part of the gutter between the drip edge and the fascia. If the gutter gets full of water due to heavy rain or clogged downspouts, you want the water to go over the gutter and down the outside of the drip edge. The shingles should hang over the inside edge of the gutter.

If you are really concerned about water getting up to the decking, you might want to look into the gutter helmet.

BTW, there are screws that come with a rubber washer, see if your gutter contractor uses those or has them as an option. Personally I am not a fan of them because the rubber eventually rots and then there is a gap that makes the problem worse in the future.

Quote from Keith's answer: "Next the gutter goes outside the drip edge, do not slide any part of the gutter between the drip edge and the fascia".

I disagree. The way Spruce described it in a previous answer above, is the correct way to install a gutter.

dj1 sorry but cannot agree with you on this. Let me try to explain. The objective is to keep water from getting behind the fascia or up onto the roof decking. I doubt the latter would happen anyway. In most cases, there is a gap between the roof decking and the fascia. If the shingles stick out an inch or so over the fascia, the common practice around here is to use a 1x2 attached to the top of the fascia and pushed up against the bottom of the shingles.

I personally don't like that approach but that is the most common approach around here and I suspect that it was done that way in Atlanta as well, but the OP got a good roofer who recommended using metal flashing instead and carry it from the roof decking down over the top of the fascia. I agree that this is the better way.

All to often around here, the gutter installers remove the 1x2 and install the gutters right up close to the bottom side of the shingles. This is bad for two reasons, first, the part of the fascia under under the 1x2 is not painted. Second, if the gutters overflow, the top of the gutter is at or very near the top of the fascia, and in some cases above it. Now the unpainted wood gets wet and water can overflow behind the fascia and into the soffits. I have seen 10 year old houses around here where the fascia and soffits are totally rotted out at the corners because of this.

If the drip edge of the flashing is inside the gutter, and the gutter overflows, the water has access to the top of the fascia board and can get behind the fascia. If the gutter is completely outboard of the flashing, then the flashing becomes a wall that is taller than the outside of the gutter, so all the water has to flow outward, away from the fascia. Any water that gets between the flashing and the gutter will drip harmlessly downward over the outside of the fascia, it can't get behind the fascia.

If the gutter is mounted directly on the fascia with out any spacers, then water could be trapped in there for a while, that is why I recommend a couple coats of high quality house paint first. I put three coats on this area of my daughters house before the gutters were mounted. I also removed the 1x2s myself to paint this area as well before the gutter contractor got there.

Once the gutters are installed, and this probably goes without saying, it is crucial to keep them clean and the down spouts free of any obstructions.
    Last edited by keith3267; 11-08-2013 at 01:01 PM.