+ Reply to Thread

Default Downspout Drip Drip Drip

I have a single 2 story downspout that makes a loud dripping noise when the rain subsides. Who has a good idea to prevent or quiet the noise of the single drip traveling 2 stories and hitting the bottom of the downstoup. Please help me eliminate the little drummer noise! Thanks

Default Re: Downspout Drip Drip Drip

The typical downspout consists of a round drop from the gutter into a rectangular tube (downspout ). As the flow subsides, it drips from the gutter into the bottom of the first corner of the downspout, rolls down to the wall of the house (second corner of the downspout ) and falls two stories to the bottom (third corner) of the downspout. The only way to stop the tapping noise is to eliminate the fall. Angling the length of downspout will work, as will removing the bottom angle from the downspout tube and place a cement diverter block that will absorb the impact of the drip and direct it away from the foundation.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

I used a magnetic clip, the kind you use to hang notes on a refrigerator. I cut a sponge about 1/2 inch thick and the width of the down spout . I clipped the sponge and inserted it sponge first into the downspout until the drip landed on the sponge. It was very inexpensive and clip and sponge can easily be removed.

How much of a job is it, to just reslope the gutter, so the water runs out faster, and completely? In a lot of gutter placements, the slope is so close to level, it takes a long time for all the water to disappear. By increasing slope, the water will run faster, and completly disappear. The sponge method might work, but, what happens after the sponge is saturated.... drip, drip, drip? Putting the downspout at an angle will definitely help.

Good luck