+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sanding Tumbler

Default Sanding Tumbler

Hi,
    Has anyone used a sanding tumbler before? If so what do you put in it to sand? We are trying to sand smaller pieces of mostly maple in large quantities. We thought a sanding tumbler would do the trick. But we have put different grit sand into it and no success. It doesn't even make a dent in the sanding.
    Any suggestions...
    Thank you

Default Re: Sanding Tumbler

Seems to me I did see dowel pins being made on This Old House at someones dowel factory. I think they were old barrels that were used as tumblers but it also seems that sand wasn't used. It might have been for the 25th anniversary show or an earlier project where a barn was built or rebuilt. I had forgotten about them but started to remember. You could look under project sources on this website and maybe find that manufacturer of dowel pins. It seemed like he was a real nice guy and would be willing to give you advice. I do remember too that Norm Abram was the person who went through that dowel pin factory and he might be able to help you. Norm has a blog that he answers when he can on the New Yankee Workshops website go to http://www.newyankee.com and if he has a chance he will answer your question for you. I am sorry I couldn't help you further but hope I have pointed you in the right direction at least. Good luck to you!

Default Re: Sanding Tumbler

I decided I had some extra time so I did some checking on the website for you. Here is the website for the dowel rods/pegs they used on the recent Benson wood timber frame house http://www.pegs.us/ . Go to that website and you will be sure to find your answers there. Have a nice day!