+ Reply to Thread

Question Vinyl Tile Cement Basement Floor

I would like to install vinyl tile flooring in the "unfinished" part of my basement over the cement floor. Our basement is dry, but we did have water come up once a few years ago through the drain during a heavy rain. The floor has been previously painted and the paint is off in some places. Do I need to prep the floor first and can I stick the tiles directly on the floor or should I use another type of adhesive? All of the references to installing vinyl tile don't seem to address this situation. Also, do you recommend a finish to the edge against the basement wall with anything? THANKS!!

Default Re: Vinyl Tile Cement Basement Floor

The floor needs to be stable or the tile won't stay stuck down. Glue on top of loose paint is only as strong as the loose paint. A small amount of water for a very short period of time won't likely damage the flooring, or rather, the adhesive. A lot of water, prolonged flood periods, and frequent flooding will have those tiles up in no time.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!