+ Reply to Thread

Default Install ceiling fan in a 1915 twin

I've looked around a bit at the big box stores for a quick fix, but I'm stumped right now. I want to install a ceiling fan in the dining room and need to find a way to mount it to the existing mount. I didn't have a fan mount installed before the ceiling drywall went in partly because I'm stupid and partly because there was already a large chandelier installed so I knew it could hold the weight.

A single large threaded hollow bolt is what is on there now. It is about 1/2 inch thick and is mounted into the joists on both sides so strong enough. I need to know how to convert this old type mount into what can be used for a modern fan. Any converters or adapters? Thanks.

Edit: I think the existing mount is called a 3/4" round tube mounting stem.
    Last edited by thehumble1; 09-28-2009 at 12:39 PM.

Default Re: Install ceiling fan in a 1915 twin

I beleive your refferring to an edison box, (small round box with a 3/4 stud in the middle) I could be wrong. Either way way I would remove and replace it with an old work fan box thats listed to hold the weight, there are a few different types that are easy to install just by following the directions on the box. If its mounted directly to a joist you could even just mount a round pancake box in its place, more importantly tho in a house that old is there a ground present (green or bare wire)? If not then make sure you have a fan thats rated for use with no eguipment ground and it also limits the type of box you can use to one of the plastic variety.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

Honestly, I can't see what kind of box there is, because it is set above the plaster/lath and the only protrusions are three sets of wires (yeah, I'm trying to figure it out) and the downrod/allthread/nipple thing. It seems to have an adapter nut on it that is about 1 1/2" in length and converts a larger 3/4" nipple to the 1/2" (OD) nipple that protrudes. It had a large chandelier on it, so I don't want to rip apart the ceiling if I can just sink 3" screws or 4" lag bolts into the bracing already in place.

there is no ground in any of it. knob and tube, which is project #2 after I move in. #1 is to remove hollywood popcorn texture covering the entire downstairs and upstairs hallways.

Op be carefull here its easy to create a bad situation with knob and tube. All those nipples and reducers can come out. start dissassembleing and remove it all. you will need to run a #12 ground wire back to the panel because you will not be able to find a plastic fan rated box. get the "saf t brace " fan box its made by westinghouse i think and cheapo sells it in a blue box. Ground the box that is absolutely imperative. when you put the knob and tube wires in the new box you will find it to be dry and brittle take a piece of romex and strip a foot or two of the insulation off and slide the insulation over the old wire where it enters the new box.
    when you wire the fan make sure to attach the ground from the box, fan hook and fan together.
    # 14 would be ok too
    look, I know it sounds like overkill but if you do it like that noone will get "lamped" changing lightbulbs and you will only have to hang it once.

If your still unsure feal free to contact me via my website and i will do what i can to talk you through it.
    Last edited by Lloyd; 09-30-2009 at 01:56 AM. Reason: added #14 ok too

running romex isn't an option at this point. I have romex coming close, but I don't have access to the ceiling and the romex is from another circuit, so I don't know the load on that one, but it is servicing most of the kitchen. If I could pull the K&T backwards, it would be easy, but this one isn't that way. It must be nailed stapled along the run somewhere, or make too many 90d turns. I have been wrapping the last ft. of the K&T with vinyl tape, so that I don't create shorts when the casing breaks from bending it.

I should also put a GFCI breaker on that circuit too, so at least people will be safe, even though it doesn't fix the grounding issue.

Thanks for the help. I'll pick up a fan hanger box and put that in first. I would pick it up from a local construction supply store, but they all close by 5pm. Obviously not interested in competing with HD/Lowes for the homeowner market. Even the local hardware is 9-5 M-F here. Just crazy I think.

OP GROUND THAT FIXTURE. even if its just a piece of thhn old worked to the nearest cicuit with a ground. and NO NOT A GFI AN AFCI theres a difference.

that's a good point. There is 12-2 romex in the wall of the room, so if I can just fish it from that outlet up to the box, I will be set. I don't think it's balloon framing because the house has structural brick with joists that span, so there might not be as much to drill through... but if I can run one wire, I might as well run romex. The deal is that we have a home inspection (FHA) in about a week and I need to have lighting in that room. Maybe I'll put up a temp fixture that weighs about 1 lb. for the inspection and then do it right.

Thanks for the AFCI tip, that makes complete sense. I'm kinda worried about someone getting 120v through them and falling off a ladder while changing a bulb, but I'm really worried about the 4000 year old wiring in the house burning us all in a midnight conflagration. I should probably start with AFCI breakers for the entire panel, because I can't get to rewiring the house for some time, maybe up to a year and I don't have the $$ to pay someone credible to do it for me.