+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Patio Border

Default Patio Border

I have a fire pit i am building a patio around. I am using pavers and want to make a simple border that will last. I am planning on using 6x6 patio timbers and have already dug the trenchs around the outer edge of the fire pit and the outer edge of the patio and filled them with crushed granite. my question is what is the best way for me to fasten the timbers together. i have been told many things from simply using rebar, to wood screws, to just laying them in place. I'm only 19 and i'm doing this myself so i dont have a lot of help or knowledge with using these patio timbers. Any advice would be appreciated. The timber lenghts around the fire pit are 6'x6' and around the outer edge is 18'x 18'.

Default Re: Patio Border

marine4,

To hold the 6"x6" timbers, I would recommend screws. However, if you lay 4 timbers in a square, over time the pressure from the pavers and packing render the screws useless. In my experiences, the best way to ensure a good bond would be to dig deeper and double-up the timbers, making sure to over lap them in the joints, Use screws to fasten them together. Back fill the trench and it should provide you with long term enjoyment.

Also, you may want to look into paver borders. They are designed to keep pavers from moving or seperating by nailing spikes through the border.

Hope this is of some help and good luck!

Pete

Marine4,

I apologize for not specifying the screw. Here is a link to what I would use:http://www.doityourself.com/invt/10-...-of-10-6146658. You can probably get these fasteners at you local home improvement warehouse.

Pete

Thanks Pete. I appreciate the help

marine4

Thanks for posting back! Am I going to be invited to our next cook out?.....lol joking

Pete