+ Reply to Thread

Default federal pacific panel

Hi all,

I heard last night from a friend that she had to have her federal pacific panel replaced after two certified electricians confirmed that it was defective. She went on to say that federal pacific has lost their certification 10 years ago. Her house was built in 1978. We I told my husband what I had heard he checked ours and sure enough our panel is from federal pacific. OK, so I go on line this morning to see if our particular is one of the defective ones. After 3 hours on line I can't find any pertinent information. Can someone kindly shed some light on this and/or perhaps lead me to where I could find specific information regarding FPF catalog # L1410-20-200. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Babyjaneh

Default Re: federal pacific panel

It's not so much the panel that is defective as the breakers that are in the panel.

http://www.inspect-ny.com/fpe/fpepanel.htm

Default Re: federal pacific panel

Federal Pacific Co. was in Newark, NJ. They lost their UL listing a long time ago. Some of their circuit breakers were not tripping off under overload conditions. The "stab-lock" type Federeal breaker has a small pin that pushes (stabs)into the back buss bar of the panel box. They would come loose and cause intermittant connections to circuits. I have experienced taking off panel box covers and the breakers fell out!It would be in your best interest to replace the panel and circuit breakers.