+ Reply to Thread

Question floor joists odd 1.5x5" size - what to do?

My wife and I are replacing the floors in our cottage. The floors were rotted and so were many of the joists and supports. I was assuming that the joists were 2x6, but finally measured them the other day and they are 1.5x5, instead of 1.5x5.5! Is there something like a 2x5 lumber? Can this be bought somewhere, or should we try to replace with standard 2x6?

There were two layers of floor: One of diagonal board 3/4 thick, and on top plywood 1/2 thick. The problem is that if we have to replace with 2x6 we have to jack up all the walls and cut out the remnants of floor from under the walls to get the 2x6 to fit between the cinderblock supports and the wall. If we can find 2x5 lumber it would save a lot of work. Some of the 2x5 were sistered not so long ago apparently, as some of them are pressure-treated and still look in ok shape. Would be a shame to have to get rid of them all.

Thanks! Pete

Default Re: floor joists odd 1.5x5" size - what to do?

Seems like a rather odd size. I would use a table saw and rip 2X6 down or notch out the bottom to fit on the ends. It won't mater if they stick down below the others.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Thanks. Yes, I was thinking of notching them and then add some strips to the 5" ones to make them all level, but a friend said it is better to just cut the 2x6 down. What a pain...

Also, does anybody have experience with putting joist supports under walls. It looks like in our cottage they put new walls up at some point on top of the floors without regard to where the joists are. Now that we removed the floors, several walls kind of hang in the air.

We cut out the floors, but not from right underneath the walls. Should we rip the joists just shy of the gap between the support beams and the bottom of the remaining floors under the walls and then shim it, or should they fit snug (in which case we would need to hammer them in?) Should we try to remove the rest of the floor board remains from under the walls? In that case the joists will would be shy of bridging the gap between the beams and the walls and we would have to make the difference somehow.

Any thoughts?

If you notch the bottom of the 2X6 the top would be even with the 5".
    And yes a snug fit, if you jack the wall up slightly you won't have to hammer them in. I would also install blocking under the walls.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb