+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009

    Default Sagging Floors That Need to be Replaced. What to do?

    I live in a 1920's bungalow with floors that sag/settled to the middle. It is not overly severe but noticeable. Typical to an house of this age. The floors are original so they are worn, broken and mismatched.


    Is it possible to lay down new wood floors, or to go with some type of engineered flooring (that is worth having and not cheap looking)? I have had one contractor suggest "jack-screwing" the floor level but I can see where that would lead to other issues and concerns me.
    Are there ways to level by shimming?

    PROFESSIONALS: You must run into this all the time with old houses. What is the best solution to get presentable floors without screwing up the house and causing a money pit?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Fayette County, Ohio

    Default Re: Sagging Floors That Need to be Replaced. What to do?

    If the floors are sagging toward the middle, the easiest and best thing to do is jack up the joists and sister new joists or "steel plate (my preferred way). Sagging in the middle usually indicates that the joists where installed crown down or undersized in the first place. If undersized adding the additional weight of a new floor isn't going to help.
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 09-28-2009 at 12:00 AM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Derry, NH

    Default Re: Sagging Floors That Need to be Replaced. What to do?

    It depends on the structure.
    I have shimmed floors that were otherwise sturdy.

    In the case of old post and beam where it may be just one center beam and many half joist notched in; I have supported that beam with steal or a post when it was a cellar below.

    If the house is slightly under built by today's standards, then shimming with as little weight as possible will work but be aware that what you do isn't adding strength but dead load.

    One method is to use a scribe to trace the taper at each joist on to a suitable 2 by material so as to transfer each needed location, 16 OC and then cover with t + G plywood in preparation for a new floor.

    Shimming is no cure for a structural problem if there is one.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts