+ Reply to Thread

Default Wireless thermostats?

Has anyone used a wireless thermostat? Would it work to solve a frayed wire problem in old walls? Furnace is in basement, heating zone effected by the frayed wire is on the third floor of a city condo building. Any glaring restrictions?

Default Re: Wireless thermostats?

i personally have never used any.. my best suggestion would be to call a nearby heating and cooling company. they would be able to tell ya what will or wont work.

I don't like wireless for this application. A thermostat provides switch closure to turn on the furnace and switch open to turn it off. To many wireless devices are on the same frequency many using the same coding. If some one closes the switch with another device there may not be a signal to open it back up.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by JLMCDANIEL View Post
    I don't like wireless for this application. A thermostat provides switch closure to turn on the furnace and switch open to turn it off. To many wireless devices are on the same frequency many using the same coding. If some one closes the switch with another device there may not be a signal to open it back up.
    Jack
    A certain commercial comes to mind with a garage door opening and closeing on the neighbors house and the guy saying "whats this switch do?"

wireless is still too unreliable(IMO), pull a new tstat wire its not hard at all and a good diy project
    Help us name our new Hidden Content