+ Reply to Thread

Default Replacement Windows - Foam Insulation & Insulating Chamber

I am having 19 of our windows replaced as they are the original windows in a 90 yr. old house. I have heard both positive and negative about having an foam insulation in the window from different salesmen. Can anybody give me any guidance on which is better? I have heard that the dead space is actually a better insulator than the foam. Does the foam help support sagging???

Also, one salesman encouraged me to have the chambers between the windows insulated as well; however, another told me that it wasn't necessary. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Replacement Windows - Foam Insulation & Insulating Chamber

Are you talking about insulating around the window? Like between the window frame and the rough opening on the house or in the frame of the actual window. I haven't heard anything about a dead air space being a better insulator and would honestly go with foam between windows if they are in a set of 2 or 3. As far as the sagging windows go, window frames should always be supported underneath by some kind of shimming. This will prevent sagging. As far as insulating around the window frame, you definitely need to do this. Minimal expansion foam is the preferred method for this. Hope i answered your questions!