+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wiring

Default wiring

How can I tell if I have aluminum wiring in my house?-bd

Default Re: wiring

Copper is copper colored, aluminum is gray.

Pull the cover plates off a few switches and look at the wire under the screws on the switch. If it's a reddish **** color it's copper, if it's a silver/gray color it's aluminum. An easier place to look may be the breaker box. remove the internal cover and just look at the tips of the wire, DO NOT put your hand in there or any tools, just look. Same color rules apply when looking inside the box.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

If your house is really old (pre-WWII), it's possible that you have copper wire that has been tinned -- with an overcoat of tin/lead, to make it easier to solder. In this case, the wire will have a silver/gray color, but if you look at the cut end of the wire it will show the copper core.

For a short while there were some installations that used copper-clad aluminum which was an aluminum wire with a copper overcoat. In this case, the wire will appear reddish, but the cut end will reveal a silver/gray/ core.

So the moral of the story is to be really sure what you have, you have to look at a cut end of the wire.
    The "Senior Member" designation under my name doesn't mean I know a lot, it just means I talk a lot.I've been a DIYer since I was 12 (thanks, Dad!). I have read several books on various home improvement topics. I do not have any current code books I can refer to. I was an apprentice plumber for two years.

Tinned copper & TW was being used even in the 60s & 70s.
    SPAM: never liked it from a can, can't stand it on a board forum. This board needs MODERATORS!

Wink Re: wiring

Thanks for the replys on this everyone! I should be able to determine something with this information. God bless the web.-bd