+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: cats in my gardens - help!

Quote Originally Posted by chuckandgaye View Post
    My neighbor saves all the hair when they conb out their dog,they say it works,but I dont know.I have the same problem in my red multch,ive grown to hate all stray cats,and I really hate the idiots who leave food out for them.

Try the coffee trick, it's easy and free if you save your used grounds OR go to your local coffee house and ask for their used grounds. Starbucks repackages theirs and gives them away, most shops are probably the same. Just ask.

Coffee has worked in the last two homes I've lived in to deter cats from the perimeter of the house or property.

Or, get an aggressive dog on a chain ...

The coffee grounds are a great idea and also act as an acidic fertilizer, especially good for roses. Any other type of ground cover is also good. Sweet Woodruff spreads readily, has tiny white flowers in spring and pretty shape to leaves. Cats like open areas to scratch. The ground cover will prevent even one paw from getting thru to the soil. Careful though. Many ground covers are invasive and may need to be either contained by edging, thinned out or completely cut/pulled. A nugget type mulch works well too. Cats don't like walking on lumpy ground.
    Last edited by ginnybydesign; 10-25-2007 at 01:57 PM. Reason: removed the font size

Coyotes will work, too.

Thumbs up Re: cats in my gardens - help!

chicken wire layed down with a thin layer of mulch on it will keep them from digging.....and the large HUNGRY dog on a long chain will tahe care of the slow learners

R there particular plants that these furry little friends prefer?
    If so, you can change out those certain plants, I know they do like grasses, especially low lying types. I have lost a good few flox this way. I know it sounds mean, but i have tried the chicken wire gate, didn't work, on all types, so i cut strips of the wire and placed it standing straight up like a stake, no more cats, but they will find a new place, moth balls i've heard, but never tried

my father spreads mothballs around his garden to keep the cats out. He claims it has worked for him. But, he also does the coffee ground thing so that could be what is doing the trick. Good luck! Personally, I like the big dog idea!

I went to Home Depot and purchased Cacti. It did the trick for a while. The cats hated being pricked.

Moth balls can also be effective, but the life is short in an open area. The ammonia burns the noses.

Or.... an aggressive dog on a long chain.

Hi- try any clear plastic bottle filled with water. the cats do not like the way the light reflects through the bottles. the bottles serve another purpose as well, the sun warms the water and can be used as a thermal heater against the cold plants in winter. good luck!

A cat using my yard as a litter box will be dealt with harshly . I'll be darned if I'm going to erect fencing or netting , remove plants that attract them , or alter MY lifestlye in any way to accomodate THEM . I have a humane trap and have " relocated " about half a dozen over the years .
    They are a nuisance , a health hazard , and their owners are violating the local leash laws .