+ Reply to Thread

Question My house is crying

I just wanted to get a couple of rooms painted when the contractor noticed a water stain on the ceiling and told me to call my insurance company. The adjuster showed up and asked me to get a plumber because the ceiling is under my master bath and leak seems to be coming from the jet tub. The adjuster is looking for a plumber that would cut into the ceiling to check the pipes and hardware of the tub "maybe". The entire bathroom is tiled including the access panel to the tub. Does anyone knows what I'm looking at or the cost of this so called "paint job". I do not know of a plumber that would cut into the ceiling. What am I looking for in a plumber?:

Default Re: My house is crying

It is my policy to provide access and repairs for my sub-contractors when necessary. I have found that it's faster and easier for me as a GC to do this than let the sub hack an access point with a hammer or other implement of destruction and me to clean up after them.

Very few specialty tradesmen will work outside of their trade, meaning that a plumber will be reticent to open up a wall or ceiling to do their work and even if they do, they won't be patching it back up for you. You're probably better off hiring a general contractor who will open up and repair the access point and can probably handle the leak as well, if they can't they should have a qualified plumber in their arsenal who can.

You say the access panel to the tub is tiled, does this mean that it's no longer accessible, or merely that the access has a tile surface? The leak can probably be located through this access if it's still usable.

The access panel is tilled and you we have NO access to it unless we break through to it.

There should be access to the equipment of the tub for general maintenance and repairs. If you cannot install a hatch through an adjacent wall, say from inside a closet, then I would recommend creating an access point in the tile. Without seeing your situation first hand I can't offer an opinion on how this should be accomplished for the best aesthetics.

If you really really don't want to do that, then you'll be relegated to opening the ceiling from below, with no guarantee that the work can be done from below or that once the ceiling is repaired that there will not be a noticeable, visible "patch".

I'm sorry, but.......I gotta say that enclosing this unit in a manner that has no relatively easy access..... should never have been done......IMO.

Sooner or later something *will* break, malfunction or just plain wear out. Guaranteed.

I would no sooner install this way than I would weld the rims on my truck or car.....or weld the hood shut.

We are hoping that the leak is coming for the adjacent or connecting plumbing and not the tub itself. I have a plumber coming in today to test the pipes and isolate the problem. Its a kidney shaped tub with the two sides butting into the outside walls and the other two are tiled. one of which is the side to the shower and the other where the step is to get into the tub.