+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy I need something to lock my dryer from my neighbors

Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to put a switch on my dryer that I'd have to turn on when I want use and my neighbors won't know about, my neighbors seem to think because I'm not home they have free use of my dryer and maybe even my washer without a care that's it's my bill. I heard about some kind of kill switch that you'd have to hit to turn the dryer on we went to Home Depot and someone said to get breaker box and breaker and attach it to my dryer in the back and just unlock the box turn it on when I need it and then shut it off and lock it when I'm done but it's big and bulky. Right now we time and again just shut it off in the fuse box but thats a little annoying.

Default Re: I need something to lock my dryer from my neighbors

Cheaper to put a lock on the door?....... The door to the house not the dryer.

No we share the basement and now thier dryer is broke they think it's ok to use ours

If that is the case I would inform the landlord of the situation and tell them that you will install a hasp and lock to the cover of the washer and dryer unless they come up with a different solution.

you can buy a lock out device that you would have to unplug the washer/dryer. then take the plug and put it in this device that would then have a place for a paddlelock. this would enclose the plug in a box, basically.. now we use stuff like this all the time for work, lock out tag out equipment.. you could even make your own if ya want.. only down fall is youd have to get behind the machine all the time!!simple but every effective

Put in a coin operated electric box. If you can't stop them at least make some money.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

How about a long strip of metal strap hanger (like used to to suspend and support pipes)? You could wrap a piece all the way around the dryer covering the door. The kind I'm thinking of has holes that you should be able to put a padlock through to keep them from being able to open the dryer door.

or perhaps help your neighbor get his dryer fixed.
    Help us name our new Hidden Content

You can always do what my mother did to keep us kids from watching tv when we weren't supposed to. She cut the plug off the cord and wired in a reversed plug pigtail. By reversed I mean she put a female end on the cord so that it couldn't be plugged in. The pigtail had male plugs on both ends.

What she didn't know is that kids are smarter than adults! We just made our own pigtail and watched tv anyway. The hard part was shutting it off in time for it to cool down before she got home from work.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

How about a bear trap inside? That ought to discourage them.