HELP!!!

My husband and I bought a 1931 Colonial. There is some sagging that is in the middle of the home. Our Dinning room slants as well as the kitchen and the staircase does as well... Nothing we didn't know about. It's not a horrible sag but it's enough to notice. Our home inspector felt confident the house was sound and quickly clammed me about it.

We have had several contractors come in the house to look at the issue...

We have one Iron beam that is the main support of the home. Where the sag is occur there is a 14 foot span without support. We have had one contractor say we need a support beam in this area and they would jack-up the floor until level. They would have to re-route steam heating pipes to put the beam in. While they where jacking the back of the home they would level the main beam as well... They would only move the floors 1/8th an inch a day. He did say some small cracks can occur. This contractor, as you can image, is expensive due to the moving of the steam pipes.. Plus I"m VERY nervous about them moving 80 year old steam pipes... I just keep thinking of the movie Money Pit....

The second contractor had a completely different take on the situation. He said NO JACKING... He expressed this could cause more issue than we might expect. Everything from causing our toilets to leak, major cracking walls, to making things more of a mess... She suggested just building a support wall in the basement. This would stabilize the sag and just deal with the crooked floors. This contract has lived in old homes and told us to save our money on jacking up the house and make improvements else where...

Now I'm completely at a loss as to what to do.. .My husband likes the second contractors suggestion b/c A) he can do it himself and B) it's cheaper.

I like the leveling the floors out better but worry about cracking walls and moving the steam pipes...

I'm having another contractor come out but I need some more advice I guess...