+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bathroom Smell

Default Bathroom Smell

The house that my wife and I just bought has a fan in the ceiling that pulls air out of the house and blows it out through the attic. The problem is that when this fan is on (it's pretty powerful) a rotten egg smell definitely comes from the bathroom. Is it pulling air from the shower drain? The smell is not there otherwise, only when the attic fan is on.

Default Re: Bathroom Smell

I think I got it. After reading several other post on here about clogged drains I got to thinking that the water in my tub drains pretty slow also. I don't have the grate style drain, I have the style that pops up and down the stop or drain water. I pulled the round top off to look down the drain.

***! That was some nasty stuff. I hit it with clorox before I would even stick a gloved hand down in there. After I pulled out as much hairy goop as I could with my fingers, I got a pair of needlenosed pliers and got the rest. A little clorox and water down the drain and it no longer stinks.

Now, if I can get someone to tell me what that rattling sound in my air handler is.

Default Re: Bathroom Smell

skinny,

How are you providing for make-up air when you turn this fan on? Windows or doors open?

Without sufficient make-up air you'd be creating substantial negative air pressure inside the house. That could/would pull air/gas up thru the traps or anywhere it could get it.