+ Reply to Thread

Default Wooden entry door wisdom needed.

How wise would it be to install a quality wooden entry door in an area that has lots of humidity, heat and a relative short but cold winter? Most of the front doors around here are steel and not very attractive.

Thumbs up Re: Wooden entry door wisdom needed.

We had a solid core, wooden, 6-panel entry on our previous house here in MA. The door was painted on both sides and took the brunt of the afternoon sun, as well as exposure to the winter elements. We never had a problem. Added a double pane storm door to the unit, and the only problem we had there was after several years, the glass fogged up from between the panes - likely due to the heat buildup from between the storm and entry doors.

Default Re: Wooden entry door wisdom needed.

I live in Ohio where we have terrible humidity and longer winters than you. I have had a wooden door on my house since the mid 60's with no trouble. My door is now painted instead of just stained and sealed. I put an oil base primer and a good exterior latex paint and it does great.

Thanks for the advice. I love stained/varnished wood and now I'm going to get a wooden entry door.

Thanks for the advice. The manufacturer recommends a tung oil finish. It looks great and the features of the wood really stand out.

If you are worried about it, use a fiberglass wood lookalike door. It really looks like wood. You even have to stain and varnish them like wood.

frugalhomediy.com
    Last edited by Frugalhome; 02-18-2012 at 10:04 PM. Reason: grammar

wood doors look amazing and will last if they are properly finished and maintained. ive installed a few all of which were on extremely expensive homes mind you

the last few years we have been using fibreglass doors on prety much every house, they look amazing and have better insulation than steel and vinyl doors
    fire up the saw and make some dust

We also really door for like fiberglass doors and they are the go-to doors for homes near salt water.

A natural wood door will be fine, it will just take more maintenace.

Choose wisely grasshoppah.

Fiberglass is stable and nice.

see Thermatru brand doors

http://longisland-architects.com

I really agree about fiberglass it is the most dependable glass in terms of security.