+ Reply to Thread

Default Plug unused breakers

I've removed 2 breakers from my breaker box. There used to be electric wall heaters in both bathrooms. They each had their own circuit, so when I removed the heaters, I pulled the breakers. Are there snap in covers I can use to plug the open holes where the breakers used to be in the panel cover? The box is Square D if that's relevant.

Default Re: Plug unused breakers

Yes, just do a Google search on Square D filler plates. Make sure you match your panel type; QO, Homeline, etc.

If your local big box doesn't have them, any standard electrical supplier will. As stated, get your box brand and type before heading to the store.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Have the electrician properly abandon the circuits (not just cap them off).

Disconnect and remove the wiring for the circuits from the Load Center/Service entrance, and simply reinstall the breakers, place in the Off position, re-mark the panel legend for those positions "future expansion".

Are these CBs in a split bus panel being used as a service? If so you'll need to coordinate with your electrical ultility.
    Last edited by Gray Watson; 09-22-2009 at 11:11 AM.
    SPAM: never liked it from a can, can't stand it on a board forum. This board needs MODERATORS!

Quote Originally Posted by mjbraun View Post
    I've removed 2 breakers from my breaker box. There used to be electric wall heaters in both bathrooms. They each had their own circuit, so when I removed the heaters, I pulled the breakers. Are there snap in covers I can use to plug the open holes where the breakers used to be in the panel cover? The box is Square D if that's relevant.
    I too would just leave the original breakers in place, switched off, and marked "spare".

Ernie hit it on the head. Disconnect and cap the wire off at the breaker if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    Ernie hit it on the head. Disconnect and cap the wire off at the breaker if need be.
    I did miss the disconnect part though....