+ Reply to Thread

Default Insulation and wall replacement

I have a home built in 1900 with lath and plaster walls. I want to be able to both have nice walls and insulate. My idea is to knock off all the plaster to the lath, put up plastic on the wall 4 feet up, fill from the inside with the blown in cellulose, fill in all gaps, then to continue up the wall with plastic and insulation. Finally, put drywall over the lath. Is this a good idea? (my thinking is that the lath will keep strength in the wall and will keep it level and reduce the number of screws that pop out. What do you think?

Default Re: Insulation and wall replacement

I think you're making too much work for yourself. Strip the walls to bare stud, rewire and replumb as necessary, insulate with fiberglass or spray foam, install drywall. There is no structural integrity in lath.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Yes - take the walls to the studs. Then have 2lb closed cell foam installed to a minimum thickness of 2". This will create a very strong and well insulated wall. You will not need to install a vapor barrier as this will be included with the foam. You will be glad you did it this way.

We have done many 100+ year old homes and all our customers are very happy with the end product.

I have a very similar issue, however, after taking off all the plaster/lathe I now notice that the wood siding is attached directly to the studs ie: no sheathing. I am very much wanting the spray foam approach, but may some day want to replace the siding. The foam will adhere itself to the backside of the clapboards, no? Is there a way to have my delicious cake and also eat said cake at the same time?