+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy help with drainage

We moved into our first home a year ago this Halloween. We have noticed a water runoff problem since we moved in and have talked about installing a french drain across the back of our house. For the last week it has rained constantly and we have noticed a more major problem. We live on a hill with the back of our house facing up hill. We have a full basement and have noticed the block wall looking wet. Today the wall is completely saturated and wet to the touch, it almost looks like it is puddling at the floor. We have a back porch that runs the length of our home and know rain water is running in between our house and the porch and down the back basement wall. I need advice on what to seal the gap to keep out water. It is about an inch or so from the bottom our the siding. The next problem is water puddles in front of the porch were there is a slope to the porch, almost creating a moat . Would a french drain be good to install along the back of our home and how would I go about that. Thanks for all your help.

Default Re: help with drainage

i have researched french drains and will be installing one in a few days. based on research with no hands on experience i would speculate that you need a barrier or cut of french drain across your backyard. this would be intended to collect the water coming down the hill and divert it before it reaches the house. [in my case water will be diverted to the street in front of the house]i got a lot of info from googling french drain, wickepedia, and landscaping books at the library. good luck. i feel your pain.