+ Reply to Thread

Default Driveway over Clay Soil

I have a 16' x 19' parking pad that has been excavated to 6" below grade. The soil is clay - pure red clay. I want to lay down gravel and pavers (may do cobblestone if I can get them cheap enough, otherwise it will be concrete pavers).

Do I need to excavate more to get enough gravel down? Small car is the only thing that will park on it.

Can I do anything else that would not require me to excavate more? I was thinking about using grout instead of sand. Adding plastic and landscape fabric. Any ideas?

Default Re: Driveway over Clay Soil

If you're going to go to the effort, time, and expense of installing a driveway, make sure it can support larger vehicles too, such as delivery and moving vehicles. While you have a small car, you may not always have a small car, and what about relatives and friends vehicles?

Other than that, I cannot tell you how to deal with your local soil issues.
    I suffer from CDO ... Its like OCD, but in alphabetical order, LIKE IT SHOULD BE!!!

Default Re: Driveway over Clay Soil

I have to agree with Sprucey ......... can't say too much about your local soil conditions.
    Also this depends on your region ..... do you have very cold winters ?

One thing ...... DO NOT use plastic under the base .... use a geotextile or landscape cloth. The plastic will hold water instead of letting it drain through creating problems....... and if you have cold freezing temperatures will create sever heaving.

here's a previous thread regarding similar steps ........
    http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showt...t=patio+blocks
    "" an ounce of perception -- a pound of obscure "
    - Rush