+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Installing a New Thermostat

I want to install a new thermostat, digital or manual, I don't care what type at this point. I have tried both.

If it helps to know- I have an electric heating system, one zone, with a register.

I have 4 wires inside the electrical box. 2 whites which are twisted together. 1 black. 1 red.

I have tried a 2-wire digital thermostat that had two black wires coming out of it. I tried connecting that and the thermostat kept resetting itself. Thinking it was just a faulty unit I bought two more... same problem.

I then went manual. I bought a 4-wire thermostat. That had 2 red and 2 black wires. I tied the 2 red wires to the red wire in the electric box, and the 2 black wires to the black wire in the electrical box... nothing. Then I tied the black/red and black/red of the thermostat. I twisted those with the black and red wires in the electrical box and the heat turned on, but wouldn't turn off.

I am sure I am not explaining it clearly, but I tried my best.

What am I doing wrong!!!

Default Re: Installing a New Thermostat

My addition has Electric Baseboard with a manual stat and the blacks go to blacks and whites to red, if you use a programable type there is a dip switch under the cover that should be on HE for electric heat. Good Luck!!!

The wiring does not sound quite right. A single black and red and yet two whites? Sounds line voltage as well so you would fry a low volt stat in a heart beat.

Can you post a picture?

Quote Originally Posted by Sten View Post
    My addition has Electric Baseboard with a manual stat and the blacks go to blacks and whites to red, if you use a programable type there is a dip switch under the cover that should be on HE for electric heat. Good Luck!!!
    What should I do with the red? Leave it alone?

Quote Originally Posted by NEC View Post
    The wiring does not sound quite right. A single black and red and yet two whites? Sounds line voltage as well so you would fry a low volt stat in a heart beat.

Can you post a picture?
    Here you go. Let me know if the quality is good enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photopoij.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	2811  

Tie the lower left black to the upper right red and tell me if the heat comes on.

Yes. That turned on the heat.
    Last edited by 1955House; 09-21-2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Changed response.

I would say you need a 120v 2 wire thermostat. One wire to lower black, one wire to red.
    Jack
    Last edited by JLMCDANIEL; 09-21-2009 at 10:47 PM.
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

I tried a 120v 2-wire, however it was digital. Would that make a difference? Should I try a 2-wire manual? I couldn't find one in Home Depot, I haven't tried Lowes yet.

Shouldn't matter as long as its not a low voltage stat, like NEC said it will fry it in a heartbeat, red to red black to black, don't let any smoke out. Good Luck!!!