+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Default Wood Trim questions

I have a 1 story bungalow house built in 1912. The wood trim looks original and is still unpainted in the living and dinning rooms. How can I tell if it is worth refinishing? I have been told that they might have used faux wood grain...is this true and if so how can I tell?

None of the wood trim in the rest of the house has been replaced except in one area and it was such a shoddy job that it doesn't help.
    Last edited by andersle36; 09-20-2009 at 07:40 PM.

Default Re: Wood Trim questions

Quote Originally Posted by andersle36 View Post
    I have a 1 story bungalow house built in 1912. The wood trim looks original and is still unpainted in the living and dinning rooms. How can I tell if it is worth refinishing? I have been told that they might have used faux wood grain...is this true and if so how can I tell?

None of the wood trim in the rest of the house has been replaced except in one area and it was such a shoddy job that it doesn't help.
    Trim of that vintage was likely finished with shellac. Shellac is relatively easy to strip and refinish. It dissolves with denatured alcohol. Faux wood grain, done well, can fool you, but since it is paint, denatured alcohol will not make it go soft. Regular paint strippers will work on paint, but not shellac.

If the old woodwork was finished with shellac, but later coated with a varnish or polyurethane, etc. It could be more interesting to refinish... might require multiple steps with different solvents.

The best case, is shellac... clean up with denatured alcohol and reapply shellac.

All the best,

Basswood

http://basswoodcarpentry.com/

Default Re: Wood Trim questions

Here is an example of faux wood grained wood. This is painted to look like burled oak. It is quite convincing. It would be amazing to be that good at faux wood grain work. It takes painting to another level.

All the best,

Basswood

http://basswoodcarpentry.com/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coffered corner & spandrel.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	9.5 KB 
ID:	3044