+ Reply to Thread

Default Minisplit or attic heat pump?

18-yr-o, 2-story house, loft fam rm., master BR & BA upstairs. No ductwork upstairs. My concern with putting a heat pump in the attic is noise when the unit kicks on and from vibration, and poor heating ability. Vent would be a few feet from unit. Minisplit in BR and loft would be quiet, separately controlled, would heat better, but can't fit a head in bathrm. so no heat or a/c in there. I plan to sell the house in a few yrs. 3 systems seems inelegant, downstairs has heat pump and woodstove. Recommendations? Anything else I should consider? (Mtn house in W No Carolina, it gets below 10 degrees). Thanks.

Default Re: Minisplit or attic heat pump?

If you do a Heat Pump the Condenser would be outside and the Air Handler would go in the attic so I can't see why there would be much noise and if installed right there should be no vibration. The downside is the ability of a Heat Pump to give enough heat in temps below 40 degrees. The colder the outside air gets the less heat that is available in that air, that's why they have a temp control that turns the Heat Pump off at a desired setting and turns the fossil fuel on. You can get a mini split with three evaps but would have the same problem with the colder weather. Do you have any type of gas or oil system? You could always go with Electric Baseboard and a split A/C system for the second floor. Good Luck!!!