+ Reply to Thread

Default Add new lgt fixture and switch to existing lgts and switch?

Hi, I'd like to add new lights to my ceiling controlled by their own switch while keeping the old and lights and switch, but not have to add new wiring? Is this possible? Is there a way to piggyback from the existing wiring to the new switch and light fixtures?

Thank you,
    Jeff

Default Re: Add new lgt fixture and switch to existing lgts and switch?

Your going to have to add some wiring someplace. If I read that right you want your new lights on it's own switch, separate from the old light. First and Foremost is POWER OFF AT THE BREAKER!! If you have a single switch on the wall change it to a double and split before the switch running wires to each switch, black to black and white to white, black to the brass screw on the switch. Make sure all this is done in the switch box, if you don't have enough room in the switch box go further back away from the switch and add a junction box and do it there, Wire nutted connections have to be in a box. Make sure that the wire nutted connections are tight and won't come undone and wrap a piece of electricians tape around them. All this has to be done before the switch, then on the other side of the switch you will still have to run a new wire to your new light. If you don't feel safe or have any doubts as to your capability PLEASE CALL AN ELECTRICIAN Good Luck!!!
    Last edited by Sten; 09-19-2009 at 05:59 PM.

Based on your question I would suggest that you hire an electrician.

It might be possible with minimum wiring to new light fixture and X10 switches and relays. If you don't know what I'm talking about you should probably call an electrician.
    Jack
    Be sure you live your life, because you are a long time dead.-Scottish Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by jwoodnik View Post
    Hi, I'd like to add new lights to my ceiling controlled by their own switch while keeping the old and lights and switch, but not have to add new wiring? Is this possible? Is there a way to piggyback from the existing wiring to the new switch and light fixtures?

Thank you,
    Jeff
    No. The only way to have a light with a remote/switch control and no wiring at all to supply it would be a battery powered light with a receiver and a battery powered remote which you could mount on the wall.

You would first have to determine where power from the panel goes - it might be at the switch box or it might be at the existing fixtures. You would also have to determine if you have a general purpose circuit or a multi-wire branch circuit before you could safely begin. Older CBs on MWBCs are not necessarily tied together.

Switch loop wiring is often not re-identified, especially in older homes, and when dealing with just whites and blacks they are NOT wired color matched. If you don't know what you're doing you could end up with a direct short (and that would be very bad).

From your post it seems you do not have the skills to trace your circuitry, or even a basic understanding of electrical wiring. A licensed electrician would be your best bet.
    SPAM: never liked it from a can, can't stand it on a board forum. This board needs MODERATORS!

Holy Moly!
    LeslieK is back!
    Freaks me out!